This is the beginning of a new series called “Inside Out” by Pastor Bill Graafsma. This series is to give you tools for impacting growth and character in your life with God. We hope this series inspires you to grow and have a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ.
Please leave a comment or contact us on how this series has impacted you! We’d love to hear from you!
Sermon Highlights & Notes
Quotes on Character:
- “Watch your thoughts. They become words. Watch your words. They become deeds. Watch your deeds. They become habits. Watch your habits. They become character. Character is everything.” – Uknown
- “People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “The measure of a man’s real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.” – Thomas B. Macaulay
- “You Can Easily Judge the Character of a Man by How He Treats Those Who Can Do Nothing for Him.” – James D Miles
- “Everyone tries to define this thing called Character. It’s not hard. Character is doing what’s right when nobody’s looking”. – JC Watts
- “Most people say that it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.” – Albert Einstein
- “Character is the result of two things: mental attitude and the way we spend our time.” – Elbert Hubbard
- “Weakness of attitude becomes weakness of character,” – Albert Einstein,
- “Character is what you know you are, not what others think you have.” – Marca Collins
- “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.” – Abraham Lincoln
- “The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.” – Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotes.
2 Corinthians 3:1-5 (NKJV)
3 Do we begin again to commend ourselves? Or do we need, as some others, epistles of commendation to you or letters of commendation from you? 2 You are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read by all men; 3 clearly you are an epistle of Christ, ministered by us, written not with ink but by the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of flesh, that is, of the heart.
The Spirit, Not the Letter
4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God. 5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God,
Question character has to ask: Honest with God and honest with yourself…
What is the impact of your life on the people around you?
- Lift them or bash
- Encouraging or discouraging
- Critical or commending
What is more important, emotions or character?
“Its not that we have perfect character. It’s the focus that character keeps building.” – Pastor Bill
What is your character when you are alone?
What happens in secrecy, impacts us largely
This issue has never been about “perfect character” but what you’re willing to do to regain character.
Good trees bear good fruit. Character is the evidence of fruit of fruit of a life that God is building
- Gods Character is real & present
- His presence is His character
- His presence and character are in us
How many of us would like to be known for our character than our knowledge?
2 Corinthians 3:17-18 (NKJV)
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.